The Retail Financial Controller provides financial leadership and commercial support to the Haven Caravan Parks on site retail businesses. The business is substantial with gross turnover approaching £200m and EBITDA in excess of £50m. These businesses include own branded pubs and restaurants, franchises (eg Burger King, Starbucks, Papa Johns and Millies Cookies), bars, shops, convenience stores, amusement arcades, concessions and other sports and leisure activities.
The role provides support to the central retail, sports and leisure and entertainments teams, park retail teams, and the Caravan Parks leadership team with the purpose of providing information, analysis and insight which will enable improvement in the profitability of the retail business.
A good understanding of the retail operation will be required. An appreciation that great customer service delivery combined with good financial control will deliver great financial results is vital.
• Work with the Food & Beverage Director and the other Retail heads of department to ensure that robust plans are in place to deliver the budgeted EBITDA for the year.
• Produce weekly and monthly KPI reports that are relevant, easy to understand and robust; thoroughly review the reports on an ongoing basis, identify issues and follow-up as required.
• Manage the periodic forecasting and annual budgeting process for all retail venues.
• Provide monthly input to board reports on Retail performance.
• Provide business cases and tracking/analysis for various projects and initiatives
• Pre and post investment analysis of any proposed Capital investment projects allowing informed and prioritised decisions to be made.
• Work with the cash and margin control team to ensure good financial control is maintained in all retail venues.
• Close monitoring of margins using EPOS systems, identifying issues and investigating.
• Monitor, review and benchmark labour costs and all other retail associated costs. Constant review of payroll and identification of best practice and rostering with a view to providing great customer service and maximising the bottom line.
• Review stock levels and oversee the stock counting process.
• Exercise financial control over supplier rebates and marketing support ensuring the Retail team have appropriate information in order to maximise the level of support available from suppliers.
• Responsible for the management and development of the Retail Finance team (4 people).
You will probably have had experience of working in a retail or similar customer facing business and will be able to demonstrate the following:
Financial and Analytical skills
You will be a qualified accountant with a strong basic grasp of financial control and management reporting. You will be comfortable dealing with large amounts of data and be able to turn this into useful management information.
A genuine interest in understanding how operations work and an ability to stand back and identify potential improvements to the guest experience and/or the profitability of the business.
You will be able to analyse and question information, think through options and reach sound business decisions.
An ability to communicate financial information/analyses in a simple, ‘down to earth’ style, ensuring the key points are highlighted and clearly understood.
Leadership and Motivation
A ‘can do’ attitude, with the ability to provide a clear sense of purpose and direction to the Retail Finance team and the wider Retail team (at head office and on park).
You will be able to understand how key business systems work to a level which allows you to have a broad understanding of the EPOS systems and be able to identify system weaknesses and opportunities.
Excel skills should be excellent.
Interpersonal Skills and relationship building
You will be able to relate to a wide range of people and, more importantly, be able to influence their behaviour and decision making.
The ability to juggle many conflicting priorities.